But Some of the Haynes Place Does Not Belong to Haynes!
Things get messier here. As may be evident from the preceding discussion, it turns out that Thomas Haynes did not own all of the land in his intended Haynes place when he moved there in 1849 or so. Instead, about 1,900 acres of the upper portion of the proposed Haynes place belonged to Edward M. Glenn, as part of his 7,000 acre tract at the upper end of the Musquiz Grant. Since Glenn owned all of the land for 5,700 varas (almost exactly 3 miles) from the upper line of the Musquiz Grant down to the lower line, this placed the lower line well below the land that Haynes wanted, so almost one-half of the land in the proposed Haynes place belonged to Glenn, rather than to Haynes. This map shows the area that Haynes wanted within the land that Edward M. Glenn owned. (Click here for the Google Maps version of this map.)
Of course, Thomas Haynes and Edward M. Glenn would have been aware of this situation, and apparently worked out the solution to this problem (and several others) over a two-year period. Meanwhile, the Haynes family would live on the land they wanted until things related to the purchase of the big chunk of Musquiz Grant land settled down, and then Thomas would buy it from Glenn. Actually, things were even more complicated than this, as will soon be revealed.